It was Thanksgiving and before mom put the ham in the oven, she cut the ham into three pieces. Her inquisitive son asked, "why did you cut the ham?" Well, his mom responded, "I don't know, it's what my mom always did" So he asked Grandma, "Why did you cut the ham?" and her response was the same as his mom's. So, he called Great-Grandma and asked the same question. At first, she was puzzled by his question, then she said, "because that was the only way it would fit in the pan!"
How many things do we do in life that don't really make any sense? How many things that don't really back-up to the Word? Our pans get bigger, but we keep doing the same thing...
This may be an over-simplification, but Colten was here the other day for a BBQ and I had placed the silverware facing up to carry outside in the picnic carrier... Anyway, he made a comment that it should be facing DOWN so that no one gets cut. Well, I don't know anyone who's ever been cut from a butter knife, but that's okay. It made me question, why do I always do that? Even in the dishwasher, I put everything up... and I get cut from the sharp knives - A LOT. So, my reasoning was that I can get more into those little spaces... but I only started doing that when I had TWO small spaces to fit everything in... now, I have so many that I don't even fill them up, but I had never changed back to putting everything face down so no one gets cut... Well, I'd say it's time to change!
It's time to evaluate: I'm in a new wine skin, time to throw out the old wine and change to the new way! What else in my life, maybe spiritually, is causing me to get cut because I haven't modified what I'm doing to fit that new wine skin??
I think I see what mine is already...
What's YOUR ham???

Hello! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat perspective Brandy! It's so true. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteAwesome word, Brandy! I am so glad that my little warrior blessed you...I don't think it was over simplification at all, I think it shows just how good our God is to take the words of a child and use them to convey wisdom to us. Thanx for sharing.
ReplyDeletegood wisdom you shared Brandy. I love the little things that make you go hhhmm!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.